On this page
Our child development service
We provide services for children in both the Western Bay of Plenty and the Eastern Bay of Plenty for our district. These services are community-based and comprise:
- Visiting neurodevelopmental therapy (working with children up to 2 yrs)
- Occupational therapy
- Clinical psychology (autism or intellectual disability diagnosis)
- Social work
- Speech and language therapy
- ASD coordination
Services are for children with an identified physical, sensory, or intellectual disability and for children with developmental delay or those at risk of developing a disability or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Emphasis is placed on early intervention, but our services extend to children aged up to 16.
We offer services in a variety of ways - including home visits, clinic appointments and our very popular group sessions such as Phyzzy Kidz, Ready Set Go, gym class, swim class etc, along with parent information sessions.
We can generally accept referrals for children:
- up to age 16 who have been identified as having a physical, sensory, intellectual disability, ASD or a combination of these which is likely to continue for at least 6 months,
- who are at risk of developing such a disability or have developmental delay, and
- whānau, families and caregivers associated with the above children.
We aren’t able to accept referrals for children:
- with physical disability service funding or ORS funding who do not have specialised home-based need - for example OT equipment or housing needs
- who have ACC funding
- who have a short-term acute illness and is expected to rapidly return to their former level of wellness or function
- who have had a surgical intervention for an acute need
- requiring palliative care for terminal illness (hospice).
- requiring maintenance services rather than a multi-disciplinary development programme
- whose service needs are covered under another service specification.
Click here to download our Overview and Inclusion Criteria document.
Tel: 07 571 4768
Street: 112 Thirteenth Avenue, Tauranga South, Tauranga 3112
Post: Private Bag 12024, Tauranga 3143
Tel: (07) 3063125 Extn: 4625
Street: Whakatāne Hospital, Stewart Street, Whakatāne
Post: PO Box 241, Whakatāne 3158
You will find further information and a list of resources at this link HealthPoint
Click here to visit Healthshare
- Our Paediatric Department provides specialist paediatric services for children aged 0-14 years.
- Babies that are born early, are very small or have other acute problems at birth will be referred to the Paediatric Department and the child may be admitted to the Wāhanga Piripoho / Neonatal Unit.
- Very sick children may be cared for in Tauranga Hospital or Whakatāne Hospital's Intensive Care Unit (ICU), but are sometimes transferred to Starship Hospital in Auckland for further treatment.
- Young children with surgical problems are often transferred to Waikato Hospital for surgical treatment.
- For children staying overnight in our Children's Ward there are facilities for one parent or caregiver to stay with their child. Visitors are welcome until 8.00 pm.
- Admission to the Children's Unit is either via the Emergency Department for acute illnesses or by appointment for a scheduled procedure.