Social work | Bay of Plenty District Health Board | Hauora a Toi | BOPDHB

Social work services

A Social Worker assists in decision-making for individuals/whānau/family, at times when they have problems relating to ill-health, injury, disability or stress.

This is a free service to New Zealand residents and may include;

  • Helping you decide what services or other support you may need
  • Advising on eligibility and funding assistance to obtain those services
  • Help organise those services into a flexible care package
  • Provide you and your family with a supportive, understanding and confidential relationship for you to discuss any personal matters that may concern you.
How our social workers can help
  • Counseling and support for personal, family, adjustment, loss and other health related issues
  • Planning for discharge home from hospital
  • Information on health / community services
  • Crisis intervention
  • Referral to other support agencies
  • Privately funded convalescent care
  • Transport for those with health related problems
  • Legal services
  • Home help
  • Funding for - gardening assistance/meal preparation/medical expenses
  • Private nursing
  • Additional financial services including access and advocacy for Work & Income NZ assistance

The Social Worker who is assisting you will make every effort to ensure:

  • That your confidentiality is respected and your right to privacy is protected
  • That the Social Work service that you receive will be sensitive and appropriate to your personal and cultural beliefs and values
  • That you receive all the information you require to make informed decisions on your care needs
  • That to the greatest extent possible, you will be consulted and involved in all decision-making that affects you
  • That your needs will be given a high priority and that you will receive the highest standard of service that the Social Worker can provide
  • That Social Work files are confidential and kept securely within the department. If you wish to have access to your personal information, please discuss this with your Social Worker.