Where should I go? | Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand | Hauora a Toi Bay of Plenty

Where should I go?

Where should I go?

When you’re unwell or injured we want to help you and your whānau get the right care.

1. Do I need immediate/urgent help?

YES - Dial 111 for an ambulance, or go to your nearest hospital emergency department at Tauranga Hospital or Whakatāne Hospital

NO - Call Healthline 0800 611 116 for free 24 hour health advice. They will tell you the best place to go.

2. Can this wait 24 hours?

YES - Contact your general practitioner (GP). However if your condition deteriorates and you feel seriously unwell, go to an urgent care centre (see below) or ring an ambulance.

NO - Contact an urgent care centre near you, or your own GP/medical centre may have an after hours arrangement you can use.

Accident and urgent medical care:

Second Avenue Health Centre
19 Second Ave, Tauranga 3110

Tara Road Medical Centre
1 Tara Road, Pāpāmoa

3. Do I need urgent mental health support?

YES  - In an emergency – if you feel someone is at risk of harm to themselves or others dial 111 and ask for Police. For urgent mental health support call Crisis Assessment and Home Treatment 0800 50 50 50 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

NO - Need to talk? Free-call or text 1737 any time, 24 hours a day. You’ll get to talk to (or text with) a trained counsellor. The service is completely free.

4. Want advice on a broad range of minor medical issues or health concerns?

YES - Visit a pharmacy. A pharmacist is a qualified health professional who can give advice and guidance. We also recommend the Health Navigator website. To find your nearest pharmacy visit healthpoint.co.nz.

Our Emergency Department (ED) is for emergencies. If it is not an emergency, please visit your local urgent care centre (see above) or GP. If you choose to use our ED, please be patient while we deal with more severe cases first.


There are several helplines and organisations which can offer help and advice.