Cancer (oncology) and haematology services
Our cancer (oncology) outpatient service has clinics at Tauranga Hospital and Whakatāne Hospital. The service also provides a haematology service
Oncology is the medical term for cancer treatment. Haematology is the medicine speciality for disorders of the blood, which are not necessarily cancerous.
Services available in the Bay of Plenty
The Bay of Plenty team consists of specialist doctors in oncology and haematology, and registered nurses experienced in chemotherapy and haematology treatments, with support from:
- social workers for help with transport, financial and social issues
- Waipuna Hospice for palliative care
- the Cancer Society for information and support
- district nurses for at-home or other in-the-community care
- radiology and laboratory services.
The services provided at the two hospitals are chemotherapy treatment, other intravenous medical treatments, and outpatient clinics for the medical oncologist, haematologist and radiation oncologist.
- The Tauranga Centre is open Monday to Friday from 8.00am-4.00pm.
Contact phone 07 579 8153.
- The Whakatāne Centre is open Tuesday to Thursday from 8.00am-3.30pm.
Contact phone 07 306 0859.