Child health services and support
This section provides information for child health service providers to help support their care of children/tamariki.
On this page
Well Child Tamariki Ora visits
The Well Child Tamariki Ora programme is a series of health visits and support that are free to all families for children from around 6 weeks up to 5 years of age.
It’s important that you join up with Plunket or another Well Child Tamariki Ora service as soon as your baby is born, so that they can see your baby when your midwife finishes visiting you. Your midwife can help you to choose the Well Child Tamariki Ora service that’s right for you. To find out about the Well Child Tamariki Ora services in your area, visit the Find a Well Child Tamariki Ora service page.
Well Child Tamariki Ora visits cover:
- child growth and development
- family health and wellbeing
- immunisation information
- oral health (teeth and gum) checks. For information about our Bay of Plenty services available please refer to our Oral health and dental care page.
- early childhood education
- vision (sight) and hearing
- health and development checks for learning well at school.
Well Child Tamariki Ora nurses are experts in child health and growth. Your nurse will support you to protect and improve your child’s health. Your midwife will give you a free Well Child Tamariki Ora My Health Book. The My Health Book reminds you about all the things that you can do to keep your child healthy and safe.
B4 School Check
The B4 School Check is FREE for every 4 year old child in New Zealand, and is the last Well Child check.
Why should your four year old have a B4 School Check?
- It is an opportune time to have your child's health and development checked before they start school.
- You and your child spend time with a trained B4 school nurse for approx 45 minutes.
- You have the chance to fill in a questionnaire about your child's health and development which you and the nurse will discuss especially anything you are concerned about. The questionnaire is helpful providing a good place to start the conversation
- A Vision and Hearing test will be arranged if this has not already occurred for your four year old child
- You can request a copy of the B4 school check results
- Your child's pre-school/Kindergarten/Kohanga reo will also have an opportunity to provide information via a set questionnaire, about your child's learning and development
- The check also covers the following:
- your child's health and development
- social and emotional wellbeing
- If you or the nurse believes your child would benefit from further assessment, the nurse will discuss this with you and offer a referral to other services that may help. The nurse can also help you arrange for any catch up immunisations for your child.
What to bring with you to the B4 School Check
Your child's Well Child Tamariki Ora Health Book, so the nurse can record your child's growth and development.
Got any questions or want to book an appointment?
Please find the contact details for your area below. Or to learn more about this service please visit health.govt.nz
The aim of this website is to provide New Zealand parents, caregivers, family/whānau with accurate and reliable information about their children's health.